let's get started. you'll need 4 chicken breast halves, 1 onion, 2 zucchini, mushrooms, soy sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper, vegetable oil, butter, sesame seeds, and bean sprouts. i actually like bean sprouts but skipped them tonight because i was feeling lazy.
start by cutting everything up--your chicken, onion, and zucchini.
i put them in separate bowls, along with my measured soy sauce and lemon juice. this recipe moves quickly and it's easiest to have everything done ahead of time so you're not waiting for the soy sauce to drip out of that stupid lid while your chicken burns.
get out 2 frying pans, and put a tablespoon of oil in each over medium-high heat.in one pan add your chicken. pour over 1 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. butter, and salt and pepper. i like to leave it for a minute (not stir-fry) and let it cook all the way on one side, then flip it with a spatula. that way i know it's all the way done, at least on one side.
yum. (make sure you don't re-use your spatula, now that the chicken is cooked. get out a different stirring device).
while your chicken is cooking, in the other pan add your onion and zucchini to the tablespoon of heated oil, then add 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. butter, and salt and pepper. stir fry for a minute, then turn heat off and cover.
when your chicken is done, slide it over to the side of your pan. pour over 2 tbsp. lemon juice.
then add your mushrooms,
1 tbsp. butter, and another tbsp. soy sauce.
when they're stir-fried, mix together with the chicken, then add the vegetables.
serve with mom's fried rice, and enjoy!
Brit's Benihana Hibachi Chicken
(you'll notice that there are some differences in this recipe from what i showed you above. feel free to do whichever version you want).
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, diced
- 1 large onion, cut into large slices and quartered
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise, then in half and into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp butter
- salt & pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 6 cups bean sprouts (I don't like these so I leave them out)
1. Spread 1 Tbsp of oil into a large frying pan over medium/high heat. Spread another Tbsp of oil in another pan over medium/high heat.
2. Add chicken to one of the pans. Add 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1 Tbsp of butter, and a dash of salt & pepper to the chicken. cook until done.
3. To the other pan, add the onion and zucchini. Add 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp of butter, and a dash of salt & pepper. Saute the vegetables as until tender. Turn off heat and cover until chicken and mushrooms are done.
4. When chicken is done, slide the meat to one side of the pan, pour the lemon juice over the chicken and add the mushrooms to the other side of the pan. Pour 1 Tbsp of the soy sauce over the mushrooms and add 1 Tbsp of butter plus a dash of salt & pepper. when the chicken and mushrooms are done, sprinkle 1 tsp of sesame seeds over the chicken, then mix the chicken with the mushrooms. combine the chicken and mushroom mixture with the zucchini and onions.
(optional: 5. Pour the bean sprouts into the same pan in which you cooked the vegetables, and cook over high heat. Add 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp butter, and a dash of salt & pepper. Cook the sprouts for only a minute or two, or until they have tenderized. Just before you serve the sprouts, sprinkle 2 tsp of sesame seeds on them. Serve the sprouts next to the chicken and vegetables with mustard sauce and ginger sauce on the side.)
serve with steamed rice or fried rice and edamame for a complete meal