3.03.2009

the perfect chocolate chip cookies

i knew cindy hansen when i lived in draper. not well, but a little. but i will never forget her now, for she has left me with the best memory: the perfect chocolate chip cookie. i'm telling you, they are perfect. i'm not a huge cookie lover, but these, fresh out of the oven, are perfection. cindy says,
i experimented with this one until i got it just right. they're barely crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. perfect!
seriously.

i didn't take step-by-steps because really, it's easy. but here are a few tips: there is a lot of flour in these babies, and unless you're literally married to he-man, you will need a kitchenaid mixer to get the flour completely mixed in. you cannot do it by hand, i guarantee. since i don't have a kitchenaid, i have to do it by hand, so i reduce the flour a bit when i make these now. also, this recipe may not translate to other states and/or altitudes. you be the judge. also, don't disregard the pizza stone. it makes a difference in the final product, i swear.

cindy's perfect chocolate chip cookies

1/2 cup butter (NOT margarine)
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
12 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips

cream sugars, butter & shortening, then beat in eggs and vanilla. stir in flour, soda, and salt, then fold in chips. bake on a pizza stone at 350* for about 12 minutes (depending on cookie size). cookies should barely be brown. it is important not to over bake them. leave on stone about one minute, then remove to cool on a flat surface.
enjoy!

8 comments:

Jack Attack said...

sounds like my kind of cookie. I'll give it a try.

Victoria said...

These look like they will be awesome! Any cookie with shortening is yummy. haha

April said...

chocolatey good! (yes i made up a word!)

J Fo said...

Um...did you see my Facebook status before you posted this? I am so in on this!

Emily said...

NO Jess, but that is hilarious! These are GOOD, too.

Mumsy said...

Hey, Emily! I found your blog somehow...through a comment, I think.

I'm gathering up Utah food blogs and love to add yours. You've got a great blog here. :)

E-mail me if you want me to add you.

cafejohnsonia@yahoo.com

Sara said...

These look SOOO good! I really want to try this recipe.

I also want to tell you about something yummy I just tried and who knows where else to tell you about it - your cooking blog is the perfect place. You use a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe (I used Alice's), but instead of adding chocolate chips at the end, you add 1 c. of shredded coconut, 1 c. chopped pecans and white chocolate chips. MMMMboy! They are SO good!

Natalie said...

I made these tonight and they were wonderful! I didn't have butter flavored shortening, and I'm sure that makes them even better. Thanks!